Sunday, August 28, 2011

Scallop Crudo and Guacamole





Ok so probably not the most normal combination of food, but I was really craving some guac and had been eyeing this scallop recipe in Bon Appetit. Click here for recipe It was very quick and easy to make, which is always a nice surprise. I could not find a red thai chile so I used a jalapeno instead. I also used plain olive oil rather than splurging on sunflower oil. In this recipe, the acidic juices are intended to cook the scallops, but that weirded me out a little so I ended up cooking the scallops about 2-3 minutes on each side (if you cook them much longer they will be tough and chewy). I then covered them with the sauce which was orange juice, lemon juice, soy sauce, ginger, olive oil, and sherry vinegar. Sprinkle sea salt, chopped chives, and mint on top. This dish is perfect for the summer- light, citrus-y, and the jalepeno gave it a great kick!

The bf made the guacamole so I'm not exactly sure of the proportions, but we usually make it with 2 or 3 avocados, 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, 1/2 lemon's worth of juice, 1 jalapeno or serrano, 1/2 onion, 1 medium sized tomato, and a few sprigs of cilantro. Because everyone has such different tastes, it's really up to you what proportions of each ingredient you want in your guac. My boyfriend likes to add copious amounts of garlic to just about anything, so we have to compromise on that a bit, but I do love a lot of onion and lemon or lime juice in mine. Not everyone is a cilantro fan, but I think it adds so much to the flavor. Put everything in the blender and add more of whatever is lacking in flavor. A little sea salt and freshly ground pepper is a good addition as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment